Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Child gives birth to a Mother!


It's 12 am and I suddenly have a nostalgic feeling, about what? I am actually missing something but what?
It's a baby kick. I am missing a baby kick.
And then I see you,dear son. 
Sleeping deep besides me.
So that kick were you.
So when I had those midnight hunger pangs,it were you.
So when everyone in the world seemed to care for me, it was for you.
Of all the stages in a women's life,  daughter, wife, mother, the most beautiful and most respected stage is that of pregnancy. Nevertheless it is a short passing phase.
So it begins with the usual 'how will I look like' and 'how will I manage' kinda apprehensions and ends where: the moment your 15 minute old son holds a finger you stretch out to him. Science calls it a reflex action newborns possess, I would like to believe otherwise :)
Anyways, so between these two bipolar thoughts lay those months which offer some pleasant surprises.
Surprises because as a women who is brought up in India, you are not used to such respectful attention as listed here :P

1) No taxi driver will ever say 'no' to you (if you stay in Mumbai you can empathize with what am saying)
2) People will stop lifts for you to board even with your annoyingly slow crawls/walk
3) Flexible working hours (you do need some luck with bosses here too)
4) Any bad mood can be passed on as a hormonal change :P
5) People smile at you when you eat ice cream no matter how humongous the portion is
6) You are forgetting things frequently or want another mad-over-donut's donut, you can blame everything on pregnancy ;)
7) The best part - your husband will never make fun of you, make sure the fridge is stocked, accompany you for those evening walks, rub your tired feet and will put his best effort to make sure you always stay calm :)
All in all, it's a much needed midlife realization that civility is still alive and is showered on those who are pregnant. 
And the greatest perk of course is bringing someone into this world who, you will love more than your own imagination :)


3 comments:

  1. Nice post... and very true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re read the post... Everything you've mentioned is so so true.
    And while I've always wondered if there is a right age to bear a child (and I don't mean just biologically), there is absolutely no limit to the new amazing things that start happening even before the child is actually out of the womb..

    It is the midlife (or maybe not exactly midlife in my case) realization that civility still exists amongst us...

    ReplyDelete